Saturday, July 27, 2013

99 Days Until We Meet You: Letter to My Little Man

Little Man,

Today marks 99 days until your estimated due date. This means that in about three months you will be making your grand entrance into this world and into our lives. Do you have any idea how much you are already loved? Do you know how anticipated your arrival is - not only by Daddy and I, but by so many other people who love you so much already?

Both Daddy and I have been working in your nursery - painting, putting together your furniture, organizing your closet, buying you odds and ends that I can only hope you will one day play with or find special. I go into there many times a day and just look at it. I'm not looking at the paint, or the furniture, or the lack of things on the walls (for now!), but I am just imagining you in there. I imagine what you will look like laying in your crib when I come wake you up on a sunny morning or what you will look like in a couple years from now playing on the floor with trucks, or cars, or dinosaurs, or whatever it is that is holding your interest at that time.

I wish I could put into words the kind of love that I have for you already. My heart is so full every single day of love for you. I love you in a way that I never knew was possible. I can only imagine what that love will be like when I see you for the first time, touch your precious face for the first time, or see your Daddy cradle you in his arms for the first time. Just thinking about those things brings me to my knees.

I have no idea what you are going to look like - whose nose you may have, what color eyes you will end up with, or if you will have your Daddy's cow lick or Mommy's wavy hair. I have no idea what kind of person you will end up being or what you will like to do, or not like to do. What I do know is that you will grow up to be a boy, and someday a man of honor and integrity, because we will teach you these things. Whether you become a doctor (like your Grandpa) or a businessman (like your Papa) or a rock climber or a scientist, I know without a shadow of a doubt that you will be a kind, thoughtful and loving person. You will know these truths because you will know how and why you came to be. Because it was God's plan.

Daddy and I have waited so long for you to get here. We have hoped and prayed and wished for you for many years. The thought that in three months you will be in our arms, simply brings me to tears. Some days I feel like I cannot wait another moment to see you - for you to be here, safe in our house teaching us things that we never knew we could learn. But most days, I can. Three months is not long at all. In that amount of time, the season will change from summer to fall and Daddy and I have plenty of projects and 'to do' lists to finish. We will keep getting your room ready, start and finish a baby book or two, maybe pick you out a name and try to make lots of memories with the three of us - with you in my tummy. I love having you safe in there, wiggling around, all the time, and keeping you all to myself.

Baby boy, this is a crazy, wonderful world that we live in. You will soon get to know what it is like to touch your puppies fur, run in the grass and giggle at things for the first time. Until then, keep growing and doing your thing in there. While Daddy and I cannot wait to meet you, we can. Well, for three more months that is.

Sweet dreams and Godspeed, Little Man.

Love,
Mama 

(written on July 27, 2013 and published on December 18, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment